tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 11 21:10:29 1999

Re: jubluH'a'?

Alan Anderson wrote:

> ja' Ed <[email protected]>:
> > 'u'vo' rupwI' vIQub *entropy*. tlham 'ay' DachoHchugh rupwI' DaDIl
> >
> >"entropy" I think is a tax from universe, you pay the tax if you change
> >component order.
>
> "A tax from the universe" doesn't translate directly into Klingon
> using the noun suffix {-vo'} very well.  "The universe's tax" is
> simpler and easier to translate, and has essentially the same idea.
>
> {rupwI'} is closer to a tax collector than to the tax itself.  You
> might have better success using verbs as verbs instead of trying to
> squash them into a noun role.
>
> I'm not sure how you intend {tlham 'ay'} to mean "component order".
> If you're invoking the slang usage of {tlham}, note that it refers
> specifically to *social order*, the sort of thing that is described
> by the labels "middle class" or "blue-coller".
>
> The verb {DIl} means "pay for", as in "exchange money for (goods or
> services)".  It doesn't refer to the money that is paid.
>
> Your first sentence also has the word order a bit scrambled, and it
> is missing a necessary {'e'} to act as the object of the verb {Qub}.
> However, the words you've chosen to use don't fit very well for the
> meaning you intend, so I won't fall into the trap of trying to fix
> the problems.  Instead, I will suggest an alternate phrasing that
> does fit the grammar well.
>
> "The universe apparently levies a tax.  If you move something, you
> are taxed."
>
> Try translating this.  It should fall into place rather easily.
>
> >pat SoQ 'u'vam Daqelqangchugh.
> >
> >If you are willing to consider this universe is a closed system.
>
> Here, you need {'e'} to be the object of the verb {qel}, and you
> are missing the "is" verb {'oH} in the first part of the phrase.
>
> ...pat SoQ 'oH 'u'vam'e' 'e' Daqelqangchugh.

rapjaj chaq *order*vaD vImugh'egh, patDaq pabchu'bogh 'ay'. DuHmey taH
'oH *chaos* vIDelchugh,( DuHmey mevHa' vImaS) DaH cha' vuSghachmey
vIghaj.
vaj cha' patmeyvetlh  vIchelnIS, vuSghachmeyvetlh joj SamlI' maH

perhaps my translation for order may be the same as, components which
clearly follow rules in system. If I describe "chaos" to be endure
possibility,( I prefer unending possiblity) now I have two limits.
then I need to add those two systems. We are looking for the area
between those limits.

Back to archive top level