tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 11 13:27:20 1999

Re: Translation request; good website

>From: [email protected]
>Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 07:15:54 EST
>
>jatlh Sean Robertson:
>>Would anyone be willing and able to translate this quote?  It seems
>>perfectly fitted to Klingon culture:
>>
>>    "Great is the glory, for the strife is hard"  -- Wordsworth
>
>Dun batlh vumqu'lu'mo'.

I was chatting on the IRC channel (more on that later) regarding
this... {Dun} doesn't quite work for me, since the English is implying that
there is a *lot* of honor, not just that it's all the better because it was
so hard-fought.  I don't remember what my answer was entirely; I'm pretty
sure it didn't have a -lu'... Something like "Qatlhqu'mo' Qu' tIn quv".
I'm not wild about {tIn} either; it's an English idiom.  For all I know, it
makes more sense in Klingon to say {'ugh quv}! (etymological note: the
Biblical Hebrew word translated in various contexts as "honor", "respect",
and "glory" (is there a really a difference anyway?) is etymologically from
the root meaning "heavy".)

~mark

Back to archive top level