tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 09 11:50:06 1999

RE: KLBC / bep pIl'o'

ja' pIl'o':
>>> 'ach jInmolmeywIj law'qu' vISaHchu'meHqu'.

jIjatlh:
>> DaH jIyajbe'choH. I don't really know what the
>> <-meH> is doing on <SaH>. I suspect you meant:
>>
>> 'ach jInmolmeywIj law'qu' vISaHchu'.
>>
>> Or maybe
>>
>> 'ach jInmolmeywIj law'qu' vISaHchu'meH loQ jIDachnIS.

> then this means the [SaH] verb covers the "for" or "about"
> concepts, as in "care about" or "concentrate on"? qar'a'?

HIja'. <SaH> - "care (about), be concerned (about)"

>> yIQIj.

> I intended to write, "... but, I was concentrating on
> my many projects". I think your 2nd sentence conveys
> the meaning better, though.     qatlho', ghojmoHwI'.

maj.

>>> DaHjaj jIba'  'ej  jIloS.  jIloStaH.
>>
>> Do'Ha'. nuq DaloS?

> chamwI'pu' vIloSba'pu'. HuchwIj  lupoQ,

vIlaDqa'DI' SIbI' wanI''e' DaloSbogh vIghov. HIbuSHa'.

> vaj DujwIj lutatlh.
>         [vaj DujwIj mutatlh]?

Either is fine. The <vaj> is a bit weird, though. Maybe this makes more
sense:

DujwIj mutatlhmeH, HuchwIj lupoQ.

>>> *Alaska-Daq qabqu' lengvaD ghormey.
>>
>> <lengvaD> is in the wrong place - it should go before the verb
>> - and I don't think it really works here. <lengvaD> is
>> something like "for the benefit of the journey", which is not
>> what you want. I suspect you meant <lengmeH>.

> oops. "surfaces for travelling" - that's what I meant.

maj.

>> .......If you really meant <ghor>, I think <yav> or <puH> would
>> probably be better, and I don't think any of them sound right
>> with a plural.

>> So if you were talking about tires (as I think you were), here
>> are two possible suggestions:
>>
>> *Alaska-Daq qabqu' puHDuj rutlh. - Car wheels are very bad in
>> Alaska *Alaska-Daq lengmeH qabqu' puHDuj rutlh. - Car wheels
>> are very bad for travelling in Alaska.

> ghobe'. I was talking about the roads. "Surfaces for traveling
> in (through/around) Alaska are really bad."

maj. The <ghor> threw me. Like I said before, I think <yav> works better
here. <ghor> just seems like where the away teams go when they beam down to
the planet, or maybe a geological term. I just can't make it work in my head
like you are using it.

>> You may want to substitute other words for <qabqu'> (e.g.
>> the slang <natlh>) and for <leng> (e.g. <chIj>).

> [chIj] is navigate. I know where I am trying to go. It's
> getting the car wheels to take me there which is the problem.
> SeH might be better. Is there a verb for "to pilot"?

<SeH> would work quite well. There is no verb for "pilot", which gets rather
annoying. I would really like to know, in one word, what a <DeghwI'> does.

>>> Dachlaw'chugh  *car-swallowing-potholes*,
>>> vaj DujwIj tlhopvaD  *Zamboni lengmoHlu'.
>>
>> <Dachlaw'chugh> makes sense here, but I think <Dachlaw'meH>
>> would make even more sense.

> I was trying to write: "If there are no car-swallowing potholes
> then I somebody drives a Zamboni in front of my car." (an attempt
> at exaggerative humor)

Are you saying that the Zamboni causes the absence of potholes? If so, then
a <-pu'> on the <leng> would make sense.

>> loQ jIyajbe'qa'. DujlIjDaq *Zamboni Dajom'a'? 'e' vIpIHbe'.
>> SoHvaD (HochvaD je) He beQmoH *Zamboni, qar'a'?

> HIja'. the Zamboni is the thing they drive to smooth the
> skating ice.

net Sov.

>>> qutlhmeH jolwI' ngevqangtaH'a' vay'?
>>
>> I suspect you meant <jolwI' qutlh>.

> I meant to say "Are you willing to sell a transporter
> cheaply" (for cheap) I guess that poor grammer doesn't
> work in either language. I don't want a cheap (as in
> lousy) transporter, I want a transporter for little money.

I don't know that the Klingon <qutlh> has the same connotation (lousy) as
the English "cheap". I suspect it basically means <waghHa'>.

> qatlho'qa'. I hope excerpting the post is allowed, just
> trying to unclutter things.

It's preferable. I'd rather just read and reply to the new stuff than wade
through something everyone has already seen before.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ