tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 09 11:55:29 1999

RE: Phrasal doubts (KLBC)

jatlh Clayton Cardoso:

> How can I build phrases like:

Oh, my. You've run into the famous "ship in which I fled" problem. The
common theme here is that most of these phrases simply can't be translated
into a single Klingon sentence. They can, however, be translated quite
satisfactorily into two.

> 1) I see the table that my cat is on.

raSDaq ba' vIghro'wIj. raSvetlh vIlegh.

>    I kill the man whom I gave money to.

loDvaD Huch vInobpu'. ghaH vIHoH.

>    I see the land you've come from.
>    I saluted your mother in the day that she met me.
>    I kissed the woman due to whom I became unhappy.

You try these.

> 2) I not always break the rules.

roD chut vIbIv, 'ach rut vIpab.

>    Ann killed even Paul.

Hoch HoH *Ann. *Paul HoHbe'Qo'.

>    Maybe I killed the man in the jail.

chaq qama' vIHoH. -OR-
chaq bIghHa'Daq loD vIHoH.

This one depends on what you mean by "in the jail". There's been a long
thread about this sort of thing recently.

>    I killed maybe the man in the jail.

qama' vIHoHlaw'?

I'm not sure what the maybe is doing here. I think it's saying you're not
sure if you killed him or not.

>    I killed the man maybe in the jail.

loD vIHoH. chaq bIghHa'Daq ghaH.

> 3) I'm as strong as you.

This one is difficult. Since <HoS> is also a noun, you could probably say
<rap HoSmaj>, but that is kind of weird. I need to think about this for a
bit. It is hard in general to say <A is as Q as B> in Klingon.

>    I ate more candies than you.

yuch vISopbogh law' law', yuch DaSopbogh law' puS.

Substitute something else for <yuch> if you're not talking about chocolate.

>    She's more trouble than she's worth.

This one is definitely an idiom that will not translate literally. Try to
figure out exactly what it means, and then translate that.

>    I'm better than I was before.

Several ways to do this:
jIpo'choHpu'; jIpIvchoHpu'.
qen jIrop. DaH jIpIv.
etc.

>    I will be happier than I am now.

DaH jI'IQ, 'ach tugh jIQuchchoH.
DaH jIQuch, 'ach tugh jIQuchqu'choH.

These next two are attempts to abuse <-moH>. I'm not even going to try;
there are other ways to say these things.

> 4) Ann made Paul give Jack's money to Tom.

This is trying to twist a <-moH> sentence into a pretzel. Let me try without
using <-moH>.

*Tom-vaD *Jack Huch nob *Paul 'e' raD *Ann.

>    He'll cause her to kill me.

muHoH ghaH 'e' raD ghaH.
You'll almost certainly need something to disambiguate the <ghaH> here.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ