tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 09 11:42:54 1999

RE: [KLBC] jIHeDta'

jatlh 'oghwI':

>>> jIHeDta'.

jIjangmeH jIjatlh:
>> qatlh bIHeDnIS? may'Daq bIQapbe'chu'lI''a'?

> vIHechbe' HeD, vIHech chegh.  :)
> (I'm not sure if this is correct, I'm not to sure
> if it is Subject or Object)

The subject is the thing doing the action - you. The object is the thing the
action is done to.

<HeD> vIHechbe'; <chegh> vIHech.

>>> vaj vIHaDqa'.
>>
>> maj.

> This is probably more understandable now that I've used the correct
> word. Looked at the incorrect row in the Dictionary.

qay'be'. I figured you meant <chegh>, but decided to let you correct
yourself.

>>> ####
>>> I then tried to think how I would say, that I remembered a small
>>> amount of Klingon.
>>>
>>> tlhInang Hol mach jIh.
>>> This is not correct (I'm sure)
>>
>> I am a small Klingon language? Nope. Also, remember the <H>
>> in <jIH>.

> Yes, that's what I thought I had said here.  I like to show the
> thought process, it's easier to see where you go along the incorrect
> path that way.

maj. Looks like it works.

>>> tlhInang Hol mach jIqaw.
>>> Is posibly closer.
>>
>> The prefix should be <vI-> rather than <jI->. Also, you're saying
>> "I remember a small Klingon language", small referring to physical
>> size. Doesn't make much sense, does it?

> So how would I say "A small amount of <someting>".

There are several ways. You have a very good one below. You can also use
<loQ>. You can *sometimes* use <-Hom>. You can often use <puS>.

>>> tlhInang Hol jIqawchu'be'
>>> Maybe??.
>>
>> Well, other than the prefix (see above), this is perfect.

>>> On Another note, can you tell me what I said here, so I can check
>>> what I think I said is what I said:
>>
>>> tlhIngan jIH.
>>
>> I am a Klingon. maj.
>>
>>> bIjatlhHa'chugh qaHoHqu'vIpbe'.
>>
>> If you misspeak, I will not be afraid to really kill you. The only
>> weirdness here is <-qu'> on <HoH>, which does not translate
>> into English very well. It probably works OK in the Klingon, though.

> Well to tell you the truth, I worked out what it should be, then
> looked up that section of the dictionary and it had that word there,
> but with different orders of the suffixes to mine.  So I moved
> the -qu', as I wanted more of a "I will not be afraid to KILL you",
> rather than "I will NOT be afraid to kill you".

> I think it's page 49 of TKD.

maj.

>>> DaH HItlhIj.
>>
>> Now appologize to me!