tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 06 08:12:25 1999

Re: KLBG Re: Some questions

jatlh David Trimboli:

> It certainly seems to me that {qaHagh} is an example of the "prefix trick."
> The full, non-contracted version would be {SoHvaD jIHagh} "I laugh, you are
> the beneficiary."  (Remember, "beneficiary" doesn't actually mean you
> benefit from the action, just that you're the one who "receives" it.)
>
> It doesn't tell you whether you're being laughed AT or laughed WITH.

Yeah, charghwI' also pointed that out. My thinking is that
it really doesn't matter in a physical sense. Using "qaHagh"
I am still laughing in your general direction. The only real
difference would be whether you intended to be funny or not.

> I'm not overly fond of the prefix trick, but it seems to me to be the best
> way to read {qaHagh}.

I note the FAQ is noncommittal on the kosherness of the
prefix trick. And as the TKD does not identify a verb as
transitive or intransitive, I am curious as to whether those
concepts are even applicable.

Thanks for your response.

Ben (DraQoS)

Back to archive top level