tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 01 14:17:14 1999

RE: KLBC "Star Trek: Klingon"

Welcome to the list, David.

jatlh David:

> nuqneH,

> munuQ "Star Trek: Klingon"

ben puS vIje' 'ej vIQujchoH, 'ach vIQujta'be'. jIHvaD Dal. chaq jItaghqa'.

> qatlh jatlh'a'be' Pok ?

<-'a'> is the suffix for asking a question, but you have a couple of
problems here. First, the rover suffix <-be'> cannot go after type 9
suffixes like <-'a'>. Second, <-'a'> is only for yes/no questions. Qestions
with question words like <qatlh> don't do anything at all to the verb.

qatlh jatlhbe' poq?

> Pok qaD ghowron, "Can't you do it any faster?!... etc..",
> jatlhbe' Pok!

You need a conjunction - <'ach> or <'a> for "but" - before the <jatlhbe'>.

> SeHlaw 'uylaHbe' nom - 'uypu' 'ach "Too
> slow!" jatlh ghowron

Adverbials like <nom> always go at the beginning of the clause they modify:
<nom SeHlaw ...>.

> munuQ ghowron.

jIH munuQ je ghawran. loQ vIpar. quv Hutlhchu'be', 'ach ghaHvaD woQ potlh
law' quv potlh puS.

> David (Interesting... DavID means something like "you be
> hostile/warlike to him")

Well, not really. <vID> means "be belligerent", not "be belligerent to", so
it really can't take an object. It would be kind of like saying "I scowl
you" in English - you can't scowl a person; you just scowl.

Of course, noticing English names and phrases and figuring out what the
associated Klingon means is kind of fun, and I'm certainly not going to stop
you.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ