tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 01 14:26:17 1999

Re: the scope of {-be'}

On Sun, 31 Oct 1999 10:35:32 -0500 Alan Anderson
<[email protected]> wrote:

> ja' charghwI':
> >> Anyone who says {qarchu'be'} to mean
> >> {qarbe'chu'} is making a mistake.
> >
> >This is exactly why I always hated the argument that we can
> >globalize what {-be'} negates. Since {-be'} obviously CAN apply
> >to the single affix or root verb it immediately follows, if it
> >also can negate everything that preceeds it, how can we tell the
> >difference? And since it is truely mobile, the required ordering
> >of other affixes make it arbitrary which affixes are being
> >negated and which ones aren't.
>
> I don't understand this complaint at all.  In the example just given,
> there's no way you can argue that {qarbe'chu'} is at all arbitrary.

We've been through this argument. Do we really expect to gain
some sort of clarity from bringing it up again?

Meanwhile, you've made a curious statement. You sound as if
you'd expect me to say that it is arbitrary. I don't understand
why. Both models of how {-be'} works say the same thing.
Negation is applied to {qar}. But what if it were
{maqarbe'chu'}. Do you see a difference between "We are clearly
(not accurate)" and "Clearly (not: we are accurate)". Why mark
{-chu'} as different from the rest of the statement? Why is
{ma-} part of the negation and not {-chu'}? When you bundle it
together, you gain the ambiguity of suggesting that perhaps
someone else is accurate and we are not. It's the "we" part that
could be the focus of the negation.

If I say {rut maqarbe'chu'} is there no difference between:

Clearly, {not: Sometimes we are accurate)

and

Sometimes we are clearly (not accurate).

You speak as if it makes no difference whether we say that the
immediate thing before the {-be'} is negated or if everything
before the {-be'} is negated. In some cases, this happens to be
true, but that is arbitrary. It is a happy accident for people
who think this makes sense. Meanwhile, to say that {-be'}
becomes some kind of divider between the parts of the verb
and its modifiers that preceed it and the parts that follow it
is absurd. Everything before it is negated. Everything after it
is not.

Riiiiiight.

But there is a canon example that proves that at least once
Okrand has made the same perverse use of negation that you do.
So, you have already won this argument, or perhaps I should say
the language has already lost this argument.

> Furthermore, {qarchu'be'} means essentially the same thing whether you
> see it as "(not-completely) accurate" or "not (completely accurate)".

But what if it were {reH maqarchu'be'taH}. Then you'd say these
are equivalent:

We always continue to (not perfectly) be accurate.

Continuously: not: (we are always perfectly accurate).

Why slice away the {-taH}? Why is it the only part of the
sentence that doesn't get negated? Why is it different from
everything else?

If you merely say that {-be'} applies to the affix or root verb
that immediately preceeds it, none of this is an issue. It is
simple. {-be'} applies to what it touches. The rest of the
sentence adds its meaning while this one thing is negated.

But you want to lump more stuff together so it all gets negated
at once, but leave out all the stuff that happens to follow the
{-be'}. That is different. Somehow, it is not negated while
everything else IS negated.

wejpuH.

The twisted logic one allows when overgeneralizing the
observation that sometimes different things look a lot alike can
really make a mess of things. So, you want to make a rule that
different things can never be different because sometimes they
look alike. Sometimes XYbe'Z can be equally evaluated as
(XY)be' Z, or as X (Y)be' Z, so let's just say these things
always mean the same thing.

> The only type of construction where this comes into play is something
> like {jIbwIj vISay'nISmoH}.  I am convinced that any ambiguity with
> {vISay'nISmoHbe'} is due to the enforced suffix order and not to any
> global-vs.-local effect of {-be'}.  It looks exactly as ambiguous to
> me as does {vISay'nISmoH} without the {-be'}.

Actually, I'd see {-be'} as disambiguating here because it makes
sense that you would need to not cause something to be clean,
(because you have more important things to do or because you
are growing dreadlocks and washing your hair would ruin them)
though it requires more specialized context for you to not cause
something to need to be clean. (Maybe it is somebody else's job
because they messed it up in the first place?)

Anyway, by your interpretation, {vISay'nISmoHbe'} could mean
that you don't need to clean something. The {-be'} applies to
{nIS} as much as to {-moH}.

My ambiguous meanings:

I (not cause) it to need to be clean.

I need to (not cause) it to be clean.

You add:

not: (I need to cause it to be clean). [This can easily be
interpreted to mean "I don't need to cause it to be clean." I
don't see this as progress for the language. For this meaning,
I'd prefer: {vISay'nISbe'moH} and I think it is a good thing for
these two different meanings to be determined by the position of
{-be'}.]

> It's likely that I'm not completely getting your point.  I'm willing
> to look at examples that show the "arbitrary negation" problem you
> seem to see.

The problem to me is that I see a world of difference between
the beauty of specificity made possible by negating a single
element of a verb with affixes, while I see an ugly mess by
using {-be'} as an arbitrary divider between all the elements of
the verb that come before {-be'} and all the elements of a verb
that come after it. In fact, as the point was originally argued
and proven with Okrand's own canon example, it wasn't even
limited to the verb. Drag locatives, prefixes, adverbs and
dependent clauses into it. Everything in the sentence in front
of {-be'} gets grouped together and negated, and everything
following {-be'} becomes perversely isolated from the rest of
the sentence, and then, somehow, meaning is supposedly
determined.

I'm sorry to go full flame again on this, but honest, guys. How
can this wildly strange interpretation of simple negation be in
any way interpreted as an improvement on how to use the
language? How could I be so alone in seeing this problem? How is
it that seemingly literate, conscientious, intelligent users of
the language like yourself can find yourself arguing your point?

I'm no genius. I'm an average guy. Yet here I stand, seeing
something so blatant that so many others keep telling me doesn't
exist. "The empiror is not nude. Nope. Great looking suit, that.
It really brings out the color of his eyes, don't you think?"

But, then again, I lost this argument. Okrand used it your way
once. So, I'm clearly wrong. I've admitted that I'm wrong. I'll
admit it again: I'm wrong. My method is not the way the language
is to be used. {-be'} definitely can negate everything on the
planet to the left of itself, and it sets all that apart from
everything on the planet to the right of itself. It is a
continental divide between that which is negated and that which
is not negated.

Please forgive me if, from time to time, I scribble gibberish
based upon my faulty belief that {-be'} works best when it is
used to negate a single element of a verb. I also should use
{wej} more often, paying homage to the beauty of ambiguity and
all of its positive effects.

> >I know that I lost this argument. A couple canon examples
> >clearly show that {-be'} was negating everything that preceeded
> >it, but I still think that is a loss of clarity in the language
> >and I seem to do just fine never using {-be'} in this way.
>
> In Klingon, as with any sufficiently powerful language, there are
> grammatical tools which introduce ambiguity.  You've decided, quite
> appropriately, that you value clarity highly.  Thus your style of
> communication reflects that, and you avoid introducing ambiguity in
> your writing.

I certainly accept, and in some cases even enjoy, a certain
degree of ambiguity, but when you take something as basic as
negation and squash its ability to focus on a point, it really
wrecks the ability to say anything clearly that involves
negation.

> Unless, of course, you're writing poetry or playing word games. :-)

Were that this beast called ambiguity were so easily controlled
to serve instead of annoy.

> -- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level