tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 28 21:03:29 1999

Re: Translation

Mark Riser wrote:

> What do you think would be an appropriate translation for "sheet music?"
> The best that I could come up with was "QoQ nav." However, this may =
> simply refer to the paper on which music is written, rather than an =
> actual sheet of music.

Noun phrases (N1-N2: where N1 modifies N2) work pretty much as they do in
English:

  QoQ nav  "music paper" (a type of paper)

  nav QoQ  "paper music" (a type of music)

BTW, we know from "Star Trek: Klingon!" (the CD game) that Klingons do indeed
have some type of sheet music.  As his {cha'nob} gift to his nephew during the
latter's {lopno'}, Qua'lon gave Pok an expensive leather-bound copy of the
score to the opera {qul tuq} "House of Fire", a popular Klingon opera telling
the story of their House in the conquest of the colony world Taganika.  Both
Qua'lon and Pok belonged to {SepIch tuq}, the House of SepIch.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level