tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 27 17:15:11 1999

RE: eyes of khaless game

jatlh qultoQ:

> attempt at translation, please correct...

> be' SoHchugh pagh loD SoHchugh
> bIHoSghajchugh bIquv 'e' maq tlhIngan.

I'd throw in a comma or an <'ej> between <SoHchugh> and <bIHoSghajchugh> to
make it clearer.

> /female you`if or man you`if you`b-strong`have`if
> | that proclaim klingon

nuqjatlh? This sort of thing is probably useful to you in learning, but I
have no idea what it means, so I will ignore it.

//if your female or if your male, if you have strength,
// then speak klingon

You got the first part just right. The <bIHoSghajchugh> is "if you are
powerful", which is pretty much the same thing as you came up with. Just
keep in mind that <HoSghaj> is not <HoS> plus <ghaj>; it is a whole separate
verb in its own right.

The last bit - <... bIquv 'e' maq tlhIngan> - is what you didn't get. The
<bIquv> means "You are honorable", and the <'e' maq tlhIngan> means "(a/the)
Klingon proclaims that ...". Putting it together, you get "... then the
Klingon proclaims that you are honorable" or "... then the Klingon proclaims
you honorable".

Note that I would have expected <'e' lumaq tlhIngan> or <'e' lumaq
tlhInganpu'> here.

> veSqa' tuqDaq jeS be'pu' law' loDpu' law' cha' puqpu' je.

> //many women and many men wear ponytails[of warriors] and
> participate in wars

The <Daq> here is the locative noun suffix <-Daq>, not the word <DaQ> -
ponytail, and the <veSqa'> is a proper name. <veSqa' tuq> is "House Veska".
peHruS is associated with the <veSqa' tuq>. You also left out the <cha'
puqpu'>. The whole thing is:

Many men, many women, and two children participate in the House Veska.

> tlhIngan Hol jatlhwI'pu' jatlhwI'
> nIv ghaH Qov'e' 'e' vIHar 'ej be' ghaH.

> // ??

This one is a bit ... odd. The hard part is <tlhIngan Hol jatlhwI'pu'
jatlhwI' nIv>. I read this as "A superior speaker among the Klingon
speakers", but it sounds rather awkward. The phrase would be simpler and
more understandable just <tlhIngan Hol jatlhwI' nIv>.

The larger phrase <tlhIngan Hol jatlhwI' nIv ghaH Qov'e'> could also be
rephrased with similar meaning as:

tlhIngan Hol jatlhlaHchu' Qov
tlhIngan Hol jatlhmeH, Qov po' law' HochHom po' puS

> veSqa' tuq jatlhwI' nIv ghaH je be''e'.

A woman is also a superior House Veska Klingon speaker.

> veqa' 'oH pongDaj'e'.
> //his .name. is {veSqa'}

Actually, it's <veqa'> (at least according to the message). And since the
above sentence discuss *women* who speak Klingon, it's *her" name.

> rut tlhIchnaQ yIv ghaH.
> //sometimes s/he chews cigerretes

maj. The above sentences again make the s/he choice into "she".

> HIq law' tlhutlh.
//many drink[liquor]

She drinks much liquor. Remember that <law'> can mean "much" or "a lot" as
well as "many".

> pe'vIl paw' ghaH.

<pe'vIl> means "forcefully" or "with force". As for the "collide", your
guess is as good as mine. I suspect another word was intended.

> moqbara'mo' tonSaw'mo' quv baj ghaH.
> /{moqba}order`due-to {tonSaw'mo'} coordinates {baj} s/he-is

<quv> is not <Quv>. She has earned honor due to <moqbara'> and martial arts.
<moqbara'> is a specific Klingon legal proceeding, but I think it used here
as a more general term.

> betleH lo'laH ghaH.
> /betleH b-valuable s/he

<lo'laH> could be "be valuable", or it could be <lo'> plus <-laH>. The only
one that makes sense in this case is the second one: "She can use a betleH".

> qaStaHvIS tlhoghDaj tlhIngan HIp tuQ.
> /occur`contnuois`while marriage`his/her klingon uniform 2-wear
> //klingon uniforms are worn while one is married

Very close. The only problem is that you have no subject. The subject is the
woman we have been talking about. I also suspect peHruS meant <tlhoghtayDaj>
- her marriage ceremony - rather than just <tlhoghDaj> - her marriage -
which lasts (hopefully) the rest of her life.

She wore a Klingon uniform during her wedding -OR-
She wore a Klingon unifor to her wedding

> be'pu'vaD loDpu'vaD je batlh quv je tu'lu'jaj.
> /women`for men`for and honor honor and 2-notice`i.s.`day
> //for women and also for men with honor also honor to
> notice someone today

Once again, good at the beginning, but a little mixed up toward the end.

<batlh quv je> is probably best translated as just "honor". I have my own
theories on the differences between <batlh> and <quv>, and I would have just
said <quv>, but I won't speculate about that here.

The verb in this sentence is <tu'lu'jaj>. <tu'lu'>, which literally means
"one finds", is often used in Klingon to mean "there is" (or "there was" or
"there will be"). <-jaj> is a suffix, found in the appendix, that means
"may". It is used in toasts and wishes, with meanings like "May there be
peace in your life" or "may the fires of Hell swallow you up".

So the whole thing is "May there be honor for men and women."

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ