tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 17 11:28:59 1999

Re: [KLBC]

At 04:05 PM 5/15/99 -0700, quljIb wrote:
>On Sat, 15 May 1999, Flame 4 God wrote:
>
>> how does one indicate future tense in tlhIngan Hol?
>> ie /will be\ or /shall be\
>>
>> -qultoQ
>
>You don't; there is no "future tense" in tlhIngan Hol. Nor for that matter
>is there a "past tense". Klingon *does* distinguish between *aspect*, i.e.
>finished/completed (perfective), unfinished/incomplete (imperfective), and
>continuous action, by the presence or absense of a Type 5 verb suffix. To
>tell about future actions, the imperfective (no Type 5 suffix) aspect is
>used, often with a "time marker". Example:

Not completely correct.  You are right that the time frame of a verb
is usually indicated by a time stamp, but an aspect marker can refer
to an event in any time frame.  For example {wa'leS jIpawta'} "I will have
arrived tomorrow" is perfectly legal.

OBTW: Any message marked KLBC should be left to the Beginners Grmmarian
(currently pagh) to respond to before others jump in.  He seems to be a
little behind right now, so be patient.

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level