tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 19 12:15:55 1999

RE: [KLBC]

jatlh qultoQ:

> how does one indicate future tense in tlhIngan Hol?
> ie /will be\ or /shall be\

Klingon does not have tense. To indicate a time context for a sentence, use
a timestamp. Here are some examples, stolen directly from Conversational
Klingon:

wa'Hu' jIghung - Yesterday I was hungry
DaHjaj jI'oj   - Today I am thirsty
wa'leS jIDoy'  - Tomorrow I will be tired

If the time context is not that simple, there are other thing you can do. If
something is going to happen soon, you can use <tugh>:

tugh jImejnIS - I need to leave soon

Sometimes it will be obvious from context that the action must happen in the
future. For example, when inviting someone to a party, a Klingon might say
the following. The party is obviously happening in the future:

lopno' wIghoS. ghotlhej! maSop 'ej matlhutlh. - We're going to a party. Join
us! We will eat and drink.

You could also say something like this:

DaH Qu' vIta'ta'be', 'ach vIta'bej. - At this moment, I have not completed
the task, but I will certainly complete it.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ