tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 17 11:23:54 1999

RE: No place like the Homeworld!

jatlh quljIb:

>We know that Qo'noS has at least two moons - or rather, it did till Praxis blew up.

What is the evidence?  Like you, jIHvad Daj tlhingan juHqo' masmey.  BTW, Praxis is still there, isn't it? - just smaller by three quarters.

>Based on the BoP 1.25 LY = ca. 1 loghqam ("space-step") I am led to believe that the Klingon year is that length.

I like your reasoning, but (going back a few weeks) I'm unclear as to why you think Qo'noS has a more distant orbit than Earth.  yIQIj!  (In my admittedly crude understanding, a habitable world with a distant orbit would require a correspondingly larger, hotter, and short-lived star, which might burn out before beings who value honor had a chance to develop.)

>I am also reasonably certain that the Homeworld's axial tilt is greater than that of Earth's,
causing extremes in temperature and weather that are reflected in Klingon culture.

DajQu' De'vam 'ach chay' DaSov?

For contrast (not proof), here are some Homeworld data I pulled off the web:  "The planet tilts only a few degrees on its axis, resulting in very little seasonal change.  A high, dense layer of carbon dioxide in the upper atmosphere retains heat, creating a greenhouse effect that renders the planet's overall temperature high for a Class M world.  Since there are no great bodies of water or variations in land area elevation, weather across the planet is consistent with the exception of the poles, which average a few degrees cooler."  If memory serves me, this comes from Shane Johnson's "The Worlds of the Federation", which probably does not rank high on the list of authoritative sources.

As always, QInwIj DajangDI' choquvmoH!

qa'ral

Back to archive top level