tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 04 11:24:15 1999

Re: tlhIngan qachQeD (Klingon architecture)?

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Steven Boozer wrote:

> qa'ral:
> > 2) How would you say *square* (a city square, not the shape).  If nothing
> > is known, my suggestion would be <Daq> as in the French *place*.  Thus,
> > Place de la Concorde could be <roj Daq> and another well-known square <Daq
> > Doq>.
>
> ghunchu'wI':
> > {mIch} might work, depending on the context.  {vaS} carries a similar idea,
> > if not exactly the same meaning.
>
> Voragh:
> > Indeed.  {vaS} is a type of building {qach} while
> > squares-plazas-ploshchadi-kikarim etc. are the large open spaces bounded by
> > streets between buildings.  {vaS} probably works for vast *enclosed* spaces
> > such as indoor markets (e.g. Gostinnyi Dvor and G.U.M....)
>
> quljIb:
> : <Suy Daq> "merchant's place" seems appropiate here.
>
> {ngevmeH/je'meH Daq} "selling/buying area" would also work.  But keep in mind
> that not all squares are, or were originally, marketplaces.  Some are purely
> esthetic, some are used for parades, some for public assemblies/rallies, etc.

I was poking around my TKD, and staring me right in the face was {yoS}
"district/area". {yoS Huv}  - "open area" works well, as does {bey' Huv} -
"display area". One can also say {ghutpu'vaD yoS} - "public space (lit.
district/area for the people)".

quljIb

Back to archive top level