tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 24 06:29:39 1999

Re: *juHrop*

Holtej wrote:
> I suspect you are looking for "homesick", but I don't think *{juHrop} works for that.
   It's not me who's looking for it, and I already thought there's
something wrong with it.

> "Homesick" is used to describe the condition of someone who wants to go home.  When trying
> to figure out a compound like this (either putting one together or taking one apart), I
> first look at as a N1-N2: what would {juH rop} mean?  "House's sickness"; "House's
> disease".  I suspect there would be a different lexical element in Klingon for the concept
> of "homesick."
   *juHrop* is just the litteral translation of "home-sickness". If I
wouldn't know the word "homesickness", I would never find its real
meaning! When somebody says that he's homesick, it can sound like he is
sick and tired of being at home.
   I am sure that a klingon will only understand the meaning of "a sick
home", not the "need to return home".

> It's also often easier, when trying to express ideas like this, to look at the element in
> context.  Why grope around for a new noun, when the concept can be expressed perfectly
> clearly with other tools?
I know.

> Of course, if I didn't get your intention right, it just goes to show how prone these
> types of words are to misunderstandings.  :)
   It's the title of the opera I was translating in december 1998. It is
sung in English, Chinese, and Klingon. Th author came up with the title
long time before he knew me, and now he is stuck with it. He has been
working with this title for more than three years, I don't think there's
anything we can do...
   Or does anyone have any suggestions?

Qapla'
  Quvar muHwI'