tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 23 13:01:42 1999

RE: *juHrop*?

> Greetings.
>
> How would you understand or interpret the word *juHrop*?

Maybe something a house gets when it doesn't take its vitamins?  "Termites"?
Or a sickness that one gets in a house, "cabin fever"?

I suspect you are looking for "homesick", but I don't think *{juHrop} works for that.
"Homesick" is used to describe the condition of someone who wants to go home.  When trying
to figure out a compound like this (either putting one together or taking one apart), I
first look at as a N1-N2: what would {juH rop} mean?  "House's sickness"; "House's
disease".  I suspect there would be a different lexical element in Klingon for the concept
of "homesick."

It's also often easier, when trying to express ideas like this, to look at the element in
context.  Why grope around for a new noun, when the concept can be expressed perfectly
clearly with other tools?

My brother is homesick.
juHDajDaq chegh neHqu'mo' loDnI'wI' ropchoH ghaH.

After this, I would simply refer to "this condition" (homesickness) as {ropvam}.

Of course, if I didn't get your intention right, it just goes to show how prone these
types of words are to misunderstandings.  :)

> Qapla'
>  Quvar muHwI'

-- Holtej 'utlh

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ