tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 22 17:59:39 1999

Re: Fresh Food in Space

ja'pu' quljIb:
>No, I specifically ment {naHmey}. As I said before: outside ceremonial
>readons and/or a ship captain's personal taste, why would Klingons bother
>with vegetation they can't eat? Having {naH} aboard kills two birds with
>one stone.

ja' DloraH:
>naH by themself wouldn't help the air.  You would need the whole plant for
>that. naH refers only to the part of the tI that we eat.

That's not necessarily true.  KGT page 89 talks about agriculture, saying:

  ...and even {naH poch} ("He/she plants fruits or vegetables"),
  referring to the ultimate use of the plant as a food source.

The entire plant is being referred to here, though it's being specifically
labeled for its intended use as food.

>An apple sitting on your table won't recycle the air.
>A whole apple tree does recycle air and provides food (naH)

I would expect that anyone talking about a ship carrying {naH} would be
referring to stored fruits and vegetables, not live plants.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level