tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 22 13:38:54 1999

RE: vavwI'

quljIb:
: > I see my mistake. I ment to write {Sovbe' puSbogh nuvpu'}.

pagh:
: That would have been fine, but the <-bogh> is unnecessary here. It's like
: the difference between "the children who are hungry" and "the hungry
: children". The former is longer and more deliberate, and might be used in
: some context when the author was trying to make a point. The latter is
: simpler and would overwhelmingly be used in conversation. They both mean the
: same thing.
:
: .. Sovbe' nuvpu' puS.

Since the plural marker is optional in Klingon, you can simplify this
further to:

	Sovbe' nuv puS.

... though you don't have to; it's just a matter of personal preference.
Okrand has done it both ways in fact:

	pIpyuS pach DaSop DaneHchugh pIpyuS puS DaghornIS
	If you want to eat pipius claw, you'll have to break a few pipiuses. TKW

	qagh, ro'qegh'Iwchab, targh tIq Sop 'e' lungIl Humanpu' puS
	Few humans dare to eat gagh, rokeg blood pie, or heart of targ. S21

Ditto for {law'}:

	chIch vay' 'oy'moHmeH 'oy'naQ 'ul law' tlhuD 'oH
	Painstiks ... emit a highly-charged shock for the express purpose of
	 inflicting pain. S32

	HoS law'qu' luch law'qu' je lo' Duj nuH pat Hub pat je
	A huge amount of the ship's power and technology is devoted to its weapons
	 grid and defensive systems. SP3

	HoS law'qu' natlhmo' So'wI'
	Due to the tremendous energy drain of a cloaking device... S33

	tlhIngan Dujmey law'qu' SommeyDaq batlh cha'lu'
	[It] has been emblazoned upon the hulls of countless Klingon starships. SP1

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level