tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 22 11:49:09 1999

RE: wej vIghro'meywIj

jatlh quljIb:

> Doq nguv 'ej ngem rur, 'ach chIs qamDu'Daj HughDaj je.

jIjatlh:
> <nguv> doesn't work here, and the sentence works without it. I have
> no idea how s/he (or 'oH in Klingon) can be <Doq> while resembling
> a forest. Did you mean something other than <ngem>?

jatlh quljIb:
> Well, she [Raggedy Anne-"Rags" for short] is a brown, taby Maine Coon,
> of a variety sometimes called the Siberian Forest Cat (not officially
> recognized by international breeders). The only way I could think of
> to convey "brown taby" was to say "she is {Doq} and resembles (is
> coloured like) the forest."

The only colors I can think of when I hear "forest" are the beautiful deep
green of a natural forest, and the darker green color decorators call
"forest green" and apply to carpet and the like. Neither of these is even
remotely <Doq>.

I think you're trying too hard with the color thing. If something is brown,
it's not green *and* red; it's just brown. Klingon happens to have a single
word - <Doq> - which covers a wide range of colors, from bright pink to dark
brown. Everything in that range is <Doq>. Although the color words in
Enlgish are more specific, there is considerable variety even here - think
of the difference between "ice blue" and "midnight blue". Do you have
trouble calling anything in that range just "blue"?

I would probably describe your cat as <Doq 'ej Hurgh>. There is a need to
differentiate your cat from, say, Morris (who is <Doq 'ej wov>), but that's
about it.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ