tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 22 11:38:10 1999

Re: KLBC: {-ghach} (was Re: qama')

ja' voragh:
> ...to make a better sounding proverb I would drop the final clause
> altogether, as well as the {-qu'} -- Klingon warriors either respect
> someone or they don't (no wishy-washy shades of grey for them!):
>
> 	DevmeH ra'wI' vuvnIS neghDaj.
> 	For a commander to lead, his troops must respect him.
>
> or in more idiomatic English:
>
> 	To lead, a commander must have his troops' respect.
>
> which is pretty much what you were after originally.  A good translation
> doesn't need to be grammatically word-for-word, form-for-form between
> languages.

maj. vIbellu'. Still, I want to somehow include the notion of "..or [else]
he is nothing." The proverb is (sorf of) ment as a veiled insult to those
who cannot command respect. I despise teachers who don't answer questions
and/or won't admit they just don't know, and I praise those who can match
me wit for wit.

quljIb

Back to archive top level