tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 19 22:41:32 1999

Re: vavwI'

ja' quljIb:
>> yuQ rap wIDab, qar'a'?  wej yuQ pIm SIchta' "internet" net Sov.
>
>HIvje', yuQ rap wIDab: te'ra. I was (faceciously) addressing any
>"non-Earther" out there. :-)

HIvje'?!  te'ra?!  You need a Klingon spell-checker. :-)  The word
{HIvje'} means "drinking vessel"; "yes" is {HIja'}.  And the name
of our planet is {tera'}.

>{wej yuQ pIm}?? Three different worlds?? Third world?? jIyajbe'.

{wej} does mean "three", but it can also be an adverbial meaning
"not yet".  Try reading it again with that meaning.

>> >no'chaj pongmey'e' Sovbe' puSbogh chaH.
>>
>> nuqjatlh?  taQlaw' <puSbogh chaH>: "They who are few..."
>
>Here I meant to say: "There are a few who do not know the NAMES of their
>ancestors."

You're trying to say "a few" without saying what are few.  Klingon
usually doesn't let you get away with leaving off the nouns you're
trying to describe.  Try "there are a few *people* who..."  It's a
little weird to see the phrase {puSbogh chaH}; I tend to interpret
a {-bogh} phrase as being a restrictive relative clause, whereas a
verb used adjectivally after a noun seems merely descriptive.

>> >Do'Ha'.
>> >Sovbe'bogh lutmeyvam ghoj vavwI' 'ej ghojmoH.
>>
>> jIyajbe'.  nuq Sovbe' lut?
>
>{lut} story (TKD) cf. my post: Word Puns

I don't think you understand my question.  I'll translate what we said:
You:  My father learns these stories which do not know and teaches [them].
Me:  I do not understand.  What does the story not know?

You were probably trying to refer to "unknown stories".  If that's the
case, you need to make {lut} the object of {Sovbe'}, not the subject.
Since the subject is indefinite, the suffix {-lu'} is used, yielding
{lutmeyvam luSuvbe'lu'bogh} "these stories which are not known."

>Basically what I'm trying to convey is the fact that my father is a
>genealogist. No, not a geologist, a GENEALOGIST-one who researches family
>histories. Klingons have a strong sense of family history, and like many
>Earth cultures, record those histories in song. The best translation of
>"genealogist" into tlhIngan Hol I can manage would be: <no' lutmey
>qamwI'>, "He who sing the tories of the ancestors," which I tentatively
>shorten to *<lutqamwI'> "storysinger, bard (poet)". Contrast this with a
>simple {qamwI'} "singer, chanter."

Yep, you need a spell-checker, alright. :-)  {qam} means "foot".  You
probably mean {bom} "sing".

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level