tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 20 11:05:26 1999

Re: vavwI'

On Fri, 19 Mar 1999, Alan Anderson wrote:

> ja' quljIb:
> >> yuQ rap wIDab, qar'a'?  wej yuQ pIm SIchta' "internet" net Sov.
> >
> >HIvje', yuQ rap wIDab: te'ra. I was (faceciously) addressing any
> >"non-Earther" out there. :-)
>
> HIvje'?!  te'ra?!  You need a Klingon spell-checker. :-)  The word
> {HIvje'} means "drinking vessel"; "yes" is {HIja'}.  And the name
> of our planet is {tera'}.
>
> >{wej yuQ pIm}?? Three different worlds?? Third world?? jIyajbe'.
>
> {wej} does mean "three", but it can also be an adverbial meaning
> "not yet".  Try reading it again with that meaning.

> >> nuqjatlh?  taQlaw' <puSbogh chaH>: "They who are few..."
> >
> >Here I meant to say: "There are a few who do not know the NAMES of their
> >ancestors."
>
> You're trying to say "a few" without saying what are few.  Klingon
> usually doesn't let you get away with leaving off the nouns you're
> trying to describe.  Try "there are a few *people* who..."  It's a
> little weird to see the phrase {puSbogh chaH}; I tend to interpret
> a {-bogh} phrase as being a restrictive relative clause, whereas a
> verb used adjectivally after a noun seems merely descriptive.

> >> jIyajbe'.  nuq Sovbe' lut?
> >
> >{lut} story (TKD) cf. my post: Word Puns
>
> I don't think you understand my question.  I'll translate what we said:
> You:  My father learns these stories which do not know and teaches [them].
> Me:  I do not understand.  What does the story not know?
>
> You were probably trying to refer to "unknown stories".  If that's the
> case, you need to make {lut} the object of {Sovbe'}, not the subject.
> Since the subject is indefinite, the suffix {-lu'} is used, yielding
> {lutmeyvam luSuvbe'lu'bogh} "these stories which are not known."
>
> >Basically what I'm trying to convey is the fact that my father is a
> >genealogist. No, not a geologist, a GENEALOGIST-one who researches family
> >histories. Klingons have a strong sense of family history, and like many
> >Earth cultures, record those histories in song. The best translation of
> >"genealogist" into tlhIngan Hol I can manage would be: <no' lutmey
> >qamwI'>, "He who sing the tories of the ancestors," which I tentatively
> >shorten to *<lutqamwI'> "storysinger, bard (poet)". Contrast this with a
> >simple {qamwI'} "singer, chanter."
>
> Yep, you need a spell-checker, alright. :-)  {qam} means "foot".  You
> probably mean {bom} "sing".
>
> -- ghunchu'wI'

I don't know why, but {-bogh} phrases frequently confuse me. At any rate
here's the corrected post:

*America*Daq no'chaj lutmey Sovbe' ghotpu'.
no'chaj pongmey'e' Sovbe'bogh nuvpu' puS.
Do'Ha'.
lutmeyvam luSovbe'lu'bogh ghoj vavwI' 'ej ghojmoH.
lutbomwI' vavwI' 'ej muHemqu'moH.

quljIb

Back to archive top level