tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 19 10:00:28 1999

Re: vavwI'

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, Alan Anderson wrote:

> ja' quljIb:
> >yuQwIjDaq no'chaj lutmey Sovbe' ghotpu'.
>
> yuQ rap wIDab, qar'a'?  wej yuQ pIm SIchta' "internet" net Sov.

HIvje', yuQ rap wIDab: te'ra. I was (faceciously) addressing any
"non-Earther" out there. :-)

{wej yuQ pIm}?? Three different worlds?? Third world?? jIyajbe'.

> >no'chaj pongmey'e' Sovbe' puSbogh chaH.
>
> nuqjatlh?  taQlaw' <puSbogh chaH>: "They who are few..."

Here I meant to say: "There are a few who do not know the NAMES of their
ancestors."

> >Do'Ha'.
> >Sovbe'bogh lutmeyvam ghoj vavwI' 'ej ghojmoH.
>
> jIyajbe'.  nuq Sovbe' lut?

{lut} story (TKD) cf. my post: Word Puns

Basically what I'm trying to convey is the fact that my father is a
genealogist. No, not a geologist, a GENEALOGIST-one who researches family
histories. Klingons have a strong sense of family history, and like many
Earth cultures, record those histories in song. The best translation of
"genealogist" into tlhIngan Hol I can manage would be: <no' lutmey
qamwI'>, "He who sing the tories of the ancestors," which I tentatively
shorten to *<lutqamwI'> "storysinger, bard (poet)". Contrast this with a
simple {qamwI'} "singer, chanter."

quljIb

Back to archive top level