tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 19 16:33:42 1999

Re: qama'

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, TPO wrote:

> ><< >In KGT, there is also jach (yell) and jat (mumble) on page 30 along with
> >jatlh
> > >and ja'.  How should these words be treated?
> > >
> > >T'Lod
> >
> > jIjach, jIjatlh <HIQaH!>
> >
> > DloraH >>
> >
> >shouldn't I mumble "something" or yell "something," that thing being language
> >or the actual words I am yelling or mumbling?  Like using jatlh for quoting
> >something said, or using ja' for what is being reported.  I don't see these as
> >intransitive, but I could be wrong.  vaj, jIlughbe' 'e' vIchIDbej.
> >
> >T'Lod

Is it just me, or is there some significance in the fact that all the
"verbs of speaking" begin with "ja"? While were at it, anyone else notice
that more oft than not, words begining with "tlh" have to do in some way
with air or breathing?

tlhIch - smoke
tlhob  - ask
tlhogh - marriage*
tlhon  - nostril
tlhov  - wheeze
tlhuch - exhaust
tlhuH  - breath, breathe
tlhup  - whisper
tlhutlh- drink (the way Klingons "inhale" alchohol, why not?)

*In the popular book Dinotopia, the inhabitants of the fictional lost isle
have developed there own language from those of the shipwrecked human
brought there by dolphins (read the book if you're curious). One
interesting word is given: <cumspirink> meaning "breathe together", what
two people do when they are married. It would be very cool if Klingons had
the same idea.

quljIb

Back to archive top level