tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 18 20:07:24 1999

Re: qama'

><< >In KGT, there is also jach (yell) and jat (mumble) on page 30 along with
>jatlh
> >and ja'.  How should these words be treated?
> >
> >T'Lod
>
> jIjach, jIjatlh <HIQaH!>
>
> DloraH >>
>
>shouldn't I mumble "something" or yell "something," that thing being language
>or the actual words I am yelling or mumbling?  Like using jatlh for quoting
>something said, or using ja' for what is being reported.  I don't see these as
>intransitive, but I could be wrong.  vaj, jIlughbe' 'e' vIchIDbej.
>
>T'Lod

Interview with MO, HolQeD 7,4

MO: Yes. In English, we say, "Give me some water", he said.  "Give me some
water", he pleaded.  "Give me some water", he yelled.
WM: He added. He begged. He opined.
MO: Exactly. I think that's an English thing to do.  That's not a Klingon
thing to do.  In Klingon, you jatlh and you ja'.  That's about it.  The
quard asked the prisoner a question.  He replied.  He said, "..."
MO: The way I see the verbs of speech, there may be more than just ja' and
jatlh, but there is only a small number of words, unlike English.  You have
to use a separate sentence for the replying, pleading, screaming.  "He
screamed. He said, 'Come help me.'"
MO: "He asked me.  He said, 'blah, blah, blah.'"

DloraH

Back to archive top level