tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 19 09:38:04 1999

Re: Cardassians, Bajorans, and Odo (oh my!)

On Fri, 19 Mar 1999, Lieven L. Litaer wrote:

> "William H. Martin" schrieb:
> > Well, as ~mark used to convey very easily, what you are trying
> > to do is futile. "What is the Klingon word for 'umbrella'?" I
> > think he also asked, "What is the English word for 'banana'?"
> > Apparently, the word "banana" was literally ripped off from some
> > other language.
>
> This reminds me of a post by William Cody on 10 Jul 1997:
> -------------
> There could also be a ritual that the Klingons don't want us to know
> about. They create warriors umbrella's, and then use them in the rain
> and battle with them.  OK, I'm ranting.  Sorry.
> -------------
>
> :-)
>       Quvar muHwI'

Umm, actually I've heard of such "warriors umbrellas." For many years in
Japan, peasant could not carry weapons. To circumvent this law, martial
artists - particularly the <shinobi>, better known as the ninja -
developed many esoteric weapons based on common, everyday items. A prime
example of thi i the <gunsen> "war fan" or <tensen> "iron fan", based on
the clasic Japanee <halisen> "paper fan". A <gunkasa> "war umbrella" is
actually quite ueful both as a weapon (reach comparable to a katana) and a
shield. I'm not kidding! Put blades around the edge, spin it in your
opponent's face, and see what happens. :-)

quljIb

Back to archive top level