tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 13 17:54:36 1999

Re: -moH Curiousity {was Re: deep structures}

SIv ter'eS:

>  I'm wondering if we're making too much of one verb.  ...
>  I'm proposing (and hoping) that for the majority of verbs, adding /-moH/
>  has the regular and predictable result of adding a new noun role to the
>  verb without changing any of the old ones, but I am certainly open to
>  the idea that some verbs are exceptions to the rule (of course, if there
>  turn out to be more exceptions than not, I'll have to trash the rule!).

HIja'.  DaH wotmey pIm lo'bogh latlh chovnatlhmey vInuD.
(DInuDta'DI', vay' wIghojta' 'e' vIQub.)

   a. /SoHvaD jagh SuvmoH yaS/ : /jagh DuSuvmoH yaS/
       "The officer makes you fight the enemy."
   b. /jagh SuvmoH yaS/  "The officer makes (someone) fight the enemy".

-> ->       NOT "The officer makes the enemy fight (someone)."

   c. /SuvmoH yaS/  "The officer makes (someone) fight him/them".
      rurchu'law'
   d. /SuvmoH yaS/ "The elder makes (someone) fight."
   e. /SoHvaD SuvmoH yaS/ : /DuSuvmoH yaS/  "The officer makes you fight
him/them."
      rurchu'law'
   f. /DuSuvmoH yaS/  "The officer makes you fight."

chovnatlh b. wIqeltaHvIS, SuQoch'a'?   SuQochbe''a'?
SuQochbe'chugh, vaj vuDwIj vIchoHnISbej.
lughchugh ngervam, ghaytan muj chovnatlh ???/puq ghojmoH qup/ vIchupbogh
'ej ghaytan lugh /puqvaD ghojmoH qup/.

SKI: I'm about convinced to change my mind about "teach", if the above example
is right.

--jey'el

Back to archive top level