tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 13 15:23:00 1999

RE: KLBC: An inspirational speech(Update)

ja' quljIb:
>...When I went back and looked at the speech, I
>realized my mistake (still working on that SVO construction!).

Make sure you work on the correct O-V-S word order, though. :-)

>2. jaghpu'majvo' - I'm being insulting to the enemy here.

Somehow, the contrast between the "language-using" plural and the
"non-language-using" possessive sets off grammatical alarm bells
in my brain that drown out the derogatory usage.  That's probably
just *my* problem, though.

>3. 'IwtIq'a'mey  - TKD lists {bIQtIq} as "river". {'IwtIq'a'mey}, "great
>   rivers of blood", is a bit of very Klingon imagery.

It would be fine if you had actually said {'Iw bIQtIq} "river of
blood" instead of something that looks like "blood heart".  The
Klingon Rite of Ascension uses the phrase {'Iw bIQtIqDaq jIjaH}
"I travel the river of blood."

>4. puqloDpu'ma' puqloDpu' - Originally, I'd intended to write "our
>   grandchildern's grandchildren", but could find no smooth way to say it.

You could have just said {puqpu'ma' puqpu'} instead of explicitly
referring to "sons".

>5. pongDu'maj - A name is an intensely personal thing, thus do I regard it
>   as though it's a body part.

Poetic indeed.  I think I like it.

>6. tuqpu'ra'vaD  - Being made up of people (living or dead, it don't
>   matter) a House is most definately capable of using language.

That's not how I see it.  Unless you're trying *very hard* to focus
specifically on the idea of a clan speaking with one voice, I really
don't believe {tuqpu'} is appropriate.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level