tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 13 15:22:57 1999

RE: KLBC: A haiku

ja' quljIb:
>I thought the Bahai masters were poets.

I've never heard of a Bahai "master", but their public service messages
on TV and the family I know don't give me an impression that there's an
emphasis on poetry in their faith.  Maybe I'm mistaken; I've never done
any real study of the Bahai.

And I'm pretty sure

>> ...You might be able to get away with saying
>> {HurDaq bIr} "[it] is cold outside", but that has too many syllables
>> for the poem.
>
><HurDaq bIr> -was- my first choice, but as you say, it doesn't fit the
>syllable count. In addition, I thought Hur was one of those would that
>don't neccesitate <-Daq>.

TKD page 27 lists {naDev} "hereabouts", {pa'} "thereabouts", and {Dat}
"everywhere" specifically as Klingon nouns that express meanings that
are carried by English adverbs.  It then goes on to say: "Unlike other
nouns, these three words are never followed by the locative suffix."
Note that it explicitly numbers these exceptions as *three* words.  A
few other nouns seem reasonable candidates for special treatment, like
{vogh} "somewhere", but TKD clearly indicates that only the three ones
mentioned are used that way.

>> I also get the feeling that {HuD'a'mey} should really be referring to
>> a mountain range like the Andes or Himalayas.  If you just want to say
>> "big mountains", {HuDmey tIn} might be more appropriate.
>
>No, I did mean the mountaion range I can see from my window.

Then you have communicated your meaning well.  majQa'.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level