tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 10 18:36:19 1999

RE: KLBC: An inspirational speech(Update)

On Wed, 10 Mar 1999, Andeen, Eric wrote:

[Original speech snipped]
> I like the first bit - <yerghomey HurDaq> is a nice metaphor, and you get
> bonus points for using <yergho>.

Mmmm, bonus points. Yummm...

> The second bit doesn't work, though:
> battles don't fight, planets don't conquer, and worlds (?) don't take. These
> should all be the objects, as they are in the next sentence. Perhaps you
> could do it this way: <may'bey law' Suv pagh, 'ej ...>. I assume you meant
> <qo'> - "world" instead of <qov>, which is not a word as far as I know. The
> last sentence is great, though.

Your right, of course. When I went back and looked at the speech, I
realized my mistake (still working on that SVO construction!). I also
realized the speech needed something...more. The expanded and corrected
speech apears below.

> may'mey law' Suv pagh 'ej yuQmey law' chargh pagh 'ej qo'mey law' tlhap
> pagh. Wow! I like it {{;-)>

>From the bottom of my heart I thank thee. If Klingons had tear ducts I'd
cry from joy.

> pagh
> Beginners Grammarian

[Note: In the following speech, I've used a few "unorthodox" word choices.
These are marked by a "*" and are explained folling the text.]

tlhIngan wo''a' yerghomey HurDaq, law' may'mey Suvbe'bogh.
 *'ej law' yuQmey charghbe'bogh.
  'ej law' quvmey tlhapbe'bogh.
SuvlaHbe'pu' may'meyvam 'e' lujatlh nuvpu' puSbogh.
  'ej charghlaHbe'pu' yuQmeyvam 'e' lujatlh.
  'ej tlhaplaHbe'pu' quvmeyvam 'e' lujatlh.
luneppu' 'e' vIjatlh jIH.
maQam 'ej majen 'e' vIjatlh jIH.
tlhIngan neghna' maH'e'.
may'meyqoq SuvlaHbe'bogh maSuv.
  'ej yuQmeyqoq charghlaHbe'bogh machargh.
  'ej quvmeyqoq tlhaplaHbe'bogh matlhap.
maSuvDI' *jaghpu'majvo'* qang *'IwtIq'a'mey*.
  'ej macharghDI' lutmeyma' bom wo' jatDu'.
  'ej matlhapDI' mayH 'e' legh no'pu' mInDu'.
'ej nuqawDI' *puqloDpu'ma' puqloDpu'*, batlh *pongDu'maj* bom.
jaghDaq Ho'Du'raj tIcha'.
  'ej yuQmey puj tIpej.
  'ej *tuqpu'ra'vaD* lut bomneSbogh tInob.

wo'vaD balth Qapla' je!!!

SKI:

Beyond the borders of the great Klingon Empire, numerous are the battles
  unfought.
  And numerous are the worlds unconqered.
  And numerous are the honours untaken.
"These battles CANNOT be fought," say a paltry few.
  "And these worlds CANNOT be conqered," they say.
  "And these honours CANNOT be taken," they say.
They LIE, I say.
We stand and we are tall, I say.
True Klingon warriors are we.
The so-called "unfightable battles", we shall fight them.
  And the so-called "unconqerable worlds", we shall conqer them.
  And the so-called "unobtainable honours", we shall take them.
When we fight, from our enemies shall pour great rivers of blood.
  And when we conqer, our stories shall be sung by the many tonques
  of the Empire.
  And when we take, the eyes of our ancestors shall see we are brave.
And when the sons of our sons remember us, they shall sing our names with
  praise.
Go. Show the enemy your teeth.
  And crush those weak worlds.
  And give your Houses stories they can sing with honour.

Glory and Success to the Empire!!!

Notes on word choice:

1. The periods between sentences normally combined with {'ej} are there
   simply for effect.

2. jaghpu'majvo' - I'm being insulting to the enemy here.

3. 'IwtIq'a'mey  - TKD lists {bIQtIq} as "river". {'IwtIq'a'mey}, "great
   rivers of blood", is a bit of very Klingon imagery.

4. puqloDpu'ma' puqloDpu' - Originally, I'd intended to write "our
   grandchildern's grandchildren", but could find no smooth way to say it.

5. pongDu'maj - A name is an intensely personal thing, thus do I regard it
   as though it's a body part.

6. tuqpu'ra'vaD  - Being made up of people (living or dead, it don't
   matter) a House is most definately capable of using language.

Yours in all honourable endeavours,
quljIb

P.S. How can I submit this to HolQeD??

Back to archive top level