tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 06 17:48:47 1999

Re: mu'mey Dajqu'

ja' quljIb:
>tlhIngan mu'mey Dajqu' Sanob
>(I give you some very intereting Klingon words.)

While these indeed are interesting, each one of your "literal" translations
is based on a major misreading of one of the parts of the word.  And that's
even before we start to address the issue of trying to make a compound out
of a noun and a verb, or the issue of trying to tease meanings out of the
multi-syllable vocabulary words in the first place.

>gho'Do - sublight speed.  lit. "stepping speed." From:
>	 <gho'> - to step, and
>	 <Do> - speed/velocity

{gho'} means "step on", not "step".  It's more like what you do to crush a
bug than how to walk from place to place.

>raQpo' - passenger. lit. "a camp(ing) expert/an expert camper." From:
>	 <raQ> - a (military) camp, and
>	 <po'> - be (an) expert

{po'} says nothing about *an* expert.  It means "be skilled"; you would have
to interpret it as "a skilled camp" if you could even presume that this word
began as a noun-verb compound.

>HablI' - data tranciever. lit. "it progresses smoothly." From:
>	 <Hab> - be smooth, and
>	 <-lI'> - progressive aspect suffix
>	 (This is prehaps a reference to _smoothly_ recieving and
>	 transmitting data.)

No way.  {Hab} is a verb of quality, meaning "be smooth"; verbs do not act
as adverbs.  {-lI'} is a verb suffix indicating ongoing action with implied
progress toward a gol; verb suffixes do not by themselves carry a verbal
meaning.  {HablI'} as a sentence *does* have a literal meaning of something
like "it is in the middle of being smooth" -- which is kind of an odd idea.
What's the implied goal of a state or quality?

>Last and certainly best:
>
>Ha'DIbaH - animal. lit. "let's go kill (shoot) them!" From:
>	   <Ha'> - let's go, and
>	   <DIbaH> - we fire (missiles/arrows/etc.) at them.

Yes, this one is cute, but {baH} means to "fire" missiles, not "fire at"
something else ({chuH} has that meaning).  If you want to call this word
{Ha', DIbaH}, it's more like "Come on, we will fire them (from a cannon)."

>Are there any more mu'mey Dajqu'? If so let me know; I'm compiling a list.

I sometimes think it would be neat if {Qu'vatlh} were derived from the
exasperated cry of a crewman who was just handed his hundredth job of
the day...but I don't go looking for things like {nIteb} "acting alone"
also meaning "they fill you" or {HIja'} being both "yes" and "tell me."

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level