tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 07 10:32:32 1999

Re: mu'mey Dajqu'

ja' ter'eS:
>> Ha'DIbaH - animal. lit. "let's go kill (shoot) them!" From:
>>            <Ha'> - let's go, and
>>            <DIbaH> - we fire (missiles/arrows/etc.) at them.
>>

>This is pretty good. I think you have discovered not the actual
>"Klingon"
>components of the word, but another example of MO's sense of humor.

The apparent origin of this word is rather obvious.  Stand in front of
a mirror and watch your lips and tongue as you say {Ha'DIbaH}.  Then do
it again for the word "animal".  Several words used in _Star Trek III_
have this interesting feature:  {jabbI'ID} "transmission" is one of the
most blatant aside from {Ha'DIbaH}.  "Wait..." is a pretty good match
for Kruge's {wej} "not yet", too.

>We've been compiling lists of single-word puns for a long time (KGT is
>_full_ of them), but
>as far as I can remember, you're the first to point this one out.

It was noticed a very long time ago by people who have been around
on this list practically forever, but I'm pretty sure nobody has
mentioned it in a good many years.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level