tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 04 13:31:29 1999

Re: cheb'a' to the Kg. was (Re: Higher math)

Voragh:
> It comes from Marc Okrand's post to the newsgroup
> msn.onstage.startrek.expert.okrand on October 22, 1997 (Subject: Re:
> Weights and Measures):
> 	 "A common unit of weight is <cheb>, which is around five pounds
>  	 (2.25 kg or so)."
> Note his careful use of the qualifiers "around" and "or so"; this is
> only a rough approximation.  From the same post Okrand said,
> 	 "We don't know a whole lot about Klingon weights and measures,
> 	  but here's a little more information that may be helpful."
> The man hates to paint himself into a corner.

'oghwI':
: Sounds like he likes to be able to change his mind :), but don't we all...

Well, he needs to be able to accomodate the Paramount writing staff who, as
a rule, ignore what Okrand has published about Klingon culture, history,
etc.  They generally consider that to be *their* job.  And so he patiently
tries to deal with whatever they come up with in his books and tapes.  For
example, we first heard *kellicam* in ST3 and *par'Machkai* in DS9 - both
obviously not normal one or two syllable {tlhIngan Hol} nouns - and Okrand
later published the spellings {qelI'qam} in TKD and {parmaqqay} in KGT.  He
sometimes calls these Paramount-originated words and phrases {no' Hol}
survivals in "modern", 24th century Klingon.

And sometimes he smiles mysteriously and doesn't say anything at all.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level