tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 25 11:22:32 1999

Re: Love (A-Ha!)

On Fri, 25 Jun 1999 11:47:31 -0400 Carleton Copeland
<[email protected]> wrote:

> ja' charghwI' 'utlh:
>
> I might suggest that while this all seems like a revellation to
> you, you might try reading TKD, page 47 (4.3 Rovers). Okrand
> explicitly explains that {-Ha'} has two meanings. One is to
> "undo". The other is "do wrongly". TKD really is worth reading.
>
> jIjang:
>
> I'm aware of both meanings, as you'd know if you'd been following the
> discussion.  The issue is that the /-Ha'/ of /muSHa'/, /parHa'/, /QayHa'/,
> and /tungHa'/ seems to express a third meaning, *do the opposite of*, which
> I feel is not self-evident or easily derivable from the first two.

Pardon if I'm repeating what others have said.

{muSHa'} is not officially defined anywhere. Those who like this
word (and I don't) choose its meaning from the general sense
that {-Ha'} tends to be a stronger negative than {-be'} as is
evidenced by the difference between {yajbe'} and {yajHa'}. One
simply does not understand, while the other misunderstands.
Ignorance misleads one less than misinformation.

{parHa'} can mean "do badly" if you consider disliking something
to be a goal oriented activity. Given Klingon culture, this is
perhaps a valid path to its meaning. I can only like you if I
fail to dislike you. That is a stronger flavor of liking than
merely not disliking you. In other words, I'd dislike you if I
could, but I like you so much, I screw up any effort at
disliking you. See? It is a cultural statement.

{QayHa'}? nuqjatlh? I don't understand this word. I'd need
context to figure out what you are doing to the meaning
"transfer".

{tungHa'} can be treated similar to {parHa'}. Klingons are very
individualistic in terms of their relationship to their goals.
Hardship enhances their appreciation of their goals, and so
overcoming the discouragement of others is so common that if
someone actually ENCOURAGES you, well, something is afoul! It
should be marked as quite different from merely not
discouraging you, in a way similar to the way that
misunderstanding is different from not understanding.

> As for TKD, I keep reminding people on the list, who are understandably
> baffled, that, being uncreditworthy and most likely separated by several
> well-patrolled borders from the nearest copy of TKD, I'm temporarily
> reliant on kind informants like yourself.

Learning Klingon without TKD is an impressive challenge. The KLI
can sell you TKD for a sum that most people can save up for who
have enough money to afford Internet access.

> qa'ral

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level