tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 10 07:59:17 1999

Re: Klingon hanky-panky

jatlh Rob:

>Worf's display of outrage seemed to be rather peculiar.  Perhaps Worf's
attitude was rather a quaint archaic one.  I doubt that it would apply to
most Klingons.  We do know that Worf wanted and expected marriage, and was
probably upset that it was not going to happen.  This is understandable,
people all over the galaxy get upset when love doesn't go as they hope.
>From female Klingons who served on Klingon ships, they didn't seem all that
chaste to me.  Remember the episode where Riker served on a Klingon ship,
and two Klingon women were sizing him up?

>I would attribute it to Worf's notion of what it is to be a Klingon being
rather idealized, as if Worf were a sort of Klingon knight...

jatlh ter'eS:

>jIQochbe'.  not Qo'noS Dab worIv net Sov.  nenchoHDI' ghaH, tlhIngan tIgh
qeqbe'.  not tlhIngan yInna' SIQ.  tIgh ghob je ghojnIS neH.  vaj tlhInganna' ghaHbe'
'e' vIHar.  tlhIngan DameH qech ghaj worIv, 'ach rut mujba' qechvam.

jIjang:

I guess you guys are right.  Worf does seem to have a rather rigid and idealized view of what it means to be Klingon.  I'm remembering all that stuff that Klingons DO NOT ...  according to Worf.  Like laugh.  Jadzia knew Klingons better.  She'd heard "Klingon belly laughs" that would curl your hair or curdle blood or something like that.

Politically, I've tended to view Worf as the token conservative on a show with a dedicated left liberal spin.  TNG was so multicultural and inclusive that it even tolerated a conservative.  Or how else would you label somebody who's big on tradition, family values, religious belief, law and order, and weapons, who's principled, strong-willed, self-reliant, bullheaded, hidebound, and intolerant?  I figured all this might apply to Klingon society in general, but I see I'll need to do some rethinking.

qa'ral

Back to archive top level