tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 08 07:59:33 1999

Re: Klingon hanky-panky

Carleton Copeland wrote:

> ja' voragh:
>
> >In North America English speakers usually say "bang" with a /b/
> >which, by the way, is also slang meaning to have quick, unemotional sexual
> >intercourse with someone.  How this applies to {bang} "love" (i.e. a lover or
> >loved one) tells us much about Okrand's opinion of Klingon romance.
>
> How does this jibe with what else we know of Klingon sexual morality?  I always remember Worf's moral outrage in "The Emissary" (one of my favorites) when K'Ehleyr refused to take the oath of marriage and his disgust at this exhibition of "human" behavior.  I always assumed this meant that /parmaq/ outside of marriage, or at least /parmaq/ not immediately followed by marriage, was taboo, but then again maybe Worf's a bit of a prude in either culture.  (If Klingons have been sleeping around a lot lately on DS9 and Voyager, I wouldn't know about it, as I've been hanging out in a corner of the galaxy where Star Trek is unknown.)
>
> qa'ral

Worf's display of outrage seemed to be rather peculiar.  Perhaps Worf's attitude was rather a quaint archaic one.  I doubt that it would apply to most Klingons.  We do know that Worf wanted and expected marriage, and was probably upset that it was not going to happen.  This is understandable, people all over the galaxy get upset when love doesn't go as they hope.  From female Klingons who served on Klingon ships, they didn't seem all that chaste to me.  Remember the episode where Riker served on a Klingon ship, and two Klingon women were sizing him up?

I would attribute it to Worf's notion of what it is to be a Klingon being rather idealized, as if Worf were a sort of Klingon knight...

Rob

Back to archive top level