tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 01 21:18:11 1999

Re: mojaq <-jaj> <-ghach> <-ta'> je

In a message dated 5/26/1999 1:14:36 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

<< > qay'be'.  The Aspect marker {-ta'} has to show an action which is wholly
 > completed.  The completion could be wholly accomplished already right now.

 This suggests you still view completion as a process, and not a state.
Completion cannot
 be "partly" accomplished.  And the relavant time reference is {wa'leS}.  "As
of tomorrow,
 I will have changed it again."  As of tomorrow, my act of changing it again
will be
 accomplished (intentionally).

 > But, because of the time stamp {wa'leS} the whole action will accomplish
its
 > completion tomorrow.

 At the time indicated by {wa'les} (tomorrow), the action will be completed.
It need not
 "accomplish" that state at that time, it may be completed today, or it may
already be
 completed, it doesn't matter.

 > {-ta'} does not preclude the action being right now, the {wa'leS} does
that.

 All the {wa'leS} does is indicate that, at that point in time, the action is
completed.
 The action could occur now, or yesterday, or whenever, so long as it's
completed by
 {wa'leS}.

 > The {-ta'} does imply that the entire entity of action is "intentionally
 > perfected."

 At least we agree on that. >>
bIlaDHa' 'e' vItlhoj.  "partially completed" vIghItlhbe'.  "wholly completed"
vIghItlhta'.

HIja'.  qaSpa' wa'leS rInchugh wanI' mojaq {-ta'} wIlo'laH.

peHruS

Back to archive top level