tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 06 12:39:11 1999

Re: jIchegh tulajchugh

> Maybe we're reading different definitions of {ngaj}.  The one I'm using
> is "be short (in duration)", as given on pages 222 and 256 of KGT.  If
> something has misled people into thinking it means "be a short duration"
> then I can understand the confusion.
>
> -- ghunchu'wI'

almost... I think it means "be *of* short duration", and that's
probably how I would list it in German (if I had anything to do
with translating anything, that is :) "von kurzer Dauer sein".
The German idiom corresponding to "I'll be brief" ("Ich werde
mich kurz fassen") might be translated as {nom jI'uch'egh}
(or use some other adverb). I'd be surprised, if anyone would
understand that! So, my point is, that "be brief" indeed is
an idiomatic expression, although I'm sure everyone who under=
stands English will get your meaning.

(Sorry for extending the thread :-)

                                           Marc Ruehlaender
                                           aka HomDoq