tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 13 13:40:31 1999

RE: Ordering food

lab Patrick Masterson:

> I would just say "He makes the house white." as
> juH chISmoH (ghaH). When I use a phrase like (object) (verb)+moH
> (subject) I usually translate it as "(subject) causes (object) to
> (verb)", in this case "He causes house to be white."

maj.

> If I wish to translate "(Subject) causes (object) to (verb) (other
> object)," like in "The officer caused the guard to hit the captain.", I
> do it like "(other object) with no t5 suffix (object) (verb)+moH
> subject)", so my above sentence would be "HoD 'avwI' qIpmoH yaS" (In
> TKD it says if there are other nouns in a sentence they go before the
> direct object.)

This does not work. To start with, I am really unsure who is hitting whom. I
know the officer is causing the hitting, but I really don't know who is
doing the hitting and who is getting hit. Extra nouns are indeed placed
before the object, but they need to be marked as such with a type 5 suffix.
TKD also says "... nouns which indicate something special other than subject
or object must have some special indication of what their function is.
Unlike English, this is accomplished by using suffixes."

The way we indicate indirect objects, especially in cases involving <-moH>,
is with the suffix <-vaD>:

HoDvaD 'avwI' qIpmoH yaS - The officer caused the captain to hit the guard.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level