tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 07 08:40:33 1999

Re: Noun suffixes, type 5

At 08:20 AM 1/7/99 -0800, charghwI' wrote:
> I think
>there is a slippery slope one would encounter while trying to
>assign the threshold of functionality for {lel}. You say it
>works for a sword from a sheath and food from a refrigerator.
>Does it work for nuH from a nuH bey'? Stones from a pile? Blood
>from a patient? Water from a stream? Wood from a tree? Since
>there is no distinct verb for this, you prefer that there is no
>verb for this at all rather than that there is this verb
>stretched beyond your preference?

Again we are faced with the vagueness of some of the dictionary
definitions.  In the definition of /lel/ as 'remove, take out',
are these two separate operations (in which case I would concede
your point), or does 'take out' restrict the meaning of 'remove'?
No way of knowing without canon (and probably not even then!).

-- ter'eS

>> -- ter'eS
>
>charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level