tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 07 07:42:24 1999

Re: Noun suffixes, type 5

At 06:56 AM 1/7/99 -0800, charghwI' wrote:
>On Wed, 6 Jan 1999 17:35:32 -0800 (PST) [email protected] wrote:

>> Not yet.  I think {lel} means "extract" a sword from its sheath.  Qov has
used
>> {lel} for taking food out of a refrigerator.
>
>These are fine uses. I think that "extracting" wood from a tree
>is not different. The sword, food and wood were in their
>containers and it was removed from that container. What is your
>point?

If I may answer for peHruS, I think the point is that he thinks
removing wood from a tree _is_ different.  So do I.  I think you can
only /lel/ definite things from a definite container.  Both the sword and
the food are distinct items that are held within something, from which
you can /lel/ them.  Wood as part of its tree is not a distinct item from the
tree itself.  If we had a separate verb for 'extract', I'd use that
for the wood, but not for the sword and the food (I'd also use it for
removing ore from the ground).  We don't have such a verb, as I
recall, but I don't think /lel/ can be substituted for it.

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level