tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 06 17:34:19 1999

Re: Noun suffixes, type 5

In a message dated 1/6/1999 3:16:08 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

<< I think it is exactly as "forced" to say you use wood to make a
 table. Do you use it the same way you use a hammer and a saw to
 make a table? This is very different from saying, "I hit the
 officer with my sword." There, the use of {lo'} makes more
 indesputable sense to me, but to say that you "use" wood to make
 a table does not imply to me that the table is made of wood. For
 that, it makes more sense to say that the tables matter is a
 tree's matter, or to say that it is made FROM wood. You removed
 material FROM the tree to make the table. Removing matter from
 the tree was one of the steps in making the table >>

Yes!!!

I would definitely use a hammer to make the table.  raS vIchenmoHmeH mupwI'
vIlo'

I do see what you are driving at.  You think that because the wood is taken
from (physically moving the wood from one location to another) the tree that
{-vo'} is acceptable.  I still cannot feel that this is quite correct.

More later,

peHruS

Back to archive top level