tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 26 23:12:03 1999

RE: KLBC: Time & sleep.

jatlh Ian Wilkinson:

> wa'leS, QI'tu'HomDaq jIyItlI'.

> tommorow, I walk in the park.

> I can not think how to do the time stamp.

Well, you did it right - just put it at the beginning of the sentence.
<QI'tu'Hom> is an, um, interesting choice for "park", though. Given that the
"Paradise" is capitalized in the definition of <QI'tu'>, it is probably some
sort of mystical place, and <QI'tu'Hom> is probably not the best choice for
"park".

Also, the <-lI'> suffix makes your sentence mean "Tomorrow, I will be taking
a walk" or "will be walking" or "will be in the process of walking". If you
just want "I will walk in the park", then leave off the <-lI'>.

> jIQongnIS.
> jIQongrup.

vaj batlh yIQong.

> that reminds me

> QongDaq = bed, When I saw this I assumed it was sleep(ing) place. It's
> just that we think of a bed as the place we sleep. Would a Klingon think
of
> a QongDaq as an item of furniture (I know Klingons are not supposed to use
> beds) or maybe a room or part of a room. Would it be reasonable to call
the
> place an animal slept a QongDaq even though it is not a bed? Or is the
> QongDaq just the last place a Klingon did sleep or intended to sleep?

To start with, although it's extremely likely that <QongDaq> is somehow
derived from <Qong> and <Daq> (or <-Daq>), we don't know *how* it is
derived. All we know is that it's a noun with two syllables.

Even if Klingons don't use the elaborate beds that Terrans do, they must
have some sort of permanent sleeping areas, and these are called
<QongDaqmey>. The exact nature of these <QongDaqmey> may vary greatly
between regions, social classes, etc. In particular, we know that Klingon
ships have bunks, even if they are basically just metal shelves.

I don't really know how Klingons would view places where animals sleep. I am
pretty certain a basket with pillows and a blanket for a Terran dog or cat
would rate a <QongDaq>, but it would probably get a <-qoq> and a sneer as
well.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level