tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 26 21:12:21 1999

Re: Hoch/HochHom, etc.

In a message dated 2/25/99 7:15:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

<< ja' T'Lod:
 >I want all the spear, not just part of it.
 >QIn Hoch vIneH (following KGT 155)

 maj, jIQochbe'.

 >I want each spear.
 >Hoch QIn vIneH.

 pup.

 >I want all of the spears.
 >Hoch QInmey vIneH

What would it mean if Hoch followed QInmey?  Each of the spears?

> Almost perfect.  We should probably translate this as "I want all spears"
>or "I want every spear."  We don't have any examples saying "all of" a
>collection of things, but based on the {nIn Hoch} example it seems pretty
>likely that {QInmey Hoch} would carry the "all of the spears" meaning.

>The distinction I see between "all spears" and "all of the spears" is
>that the first appears to refer to spears as a category, and the second
> appears to refer to a quantity of spears.

 -- ghunchu'wI'

batlh choQaHta'mo' qatlho'.  Another question - is it possible to have two
adverbs in the same sentence?

T'Lod

Back to archive top level