tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 24 10:00:37 1999

Re: "untamed" vocabulary from KGT

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999 06:33:58 -0800 (PST) Alan Anderson
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I recently stumbled on {ngIj} "be rowdy, unruly (v)" in KGT.  To the
> best of my knowledge, nobody had mentioned it on the list before.  I
> wasn't aware that charghwI' missed some of the other similar words in
> his attempt to capture the entire vocabulary.

Is this in the vocabulary list in KGT? If so, it doesn't belong
in the New Words List, but then, somehow I missed it for my own
word list, and it is missing from Holtej's pojwI'. I don't have
KGT with me right now. So, where is it in KGT? What is so
obscure about it that at least two of us missed it?

> Here are the rest of the words I have noticed defined in the text of
> KGT that do not appear in the alphabetical listing of vocabulary at
> the back of the book.
>
> ghItlhwI' = stylus (n) KGT:p79
> HuchQeD = economics (n) KGT:p146
> naHnagh = pit (of a fruit) (n) KGT:p89
> naHjej = thistle (n) KGT:p88 [spelled neHjej in vocab list]
> QIn pup = plain spearhead with a single sharp point (n) KGT:p64
> QIn vagh = spearhead with multiple points (n) KGT:p64
> tlhach mu'mey = jargon (n) KGT:p45
> vIq = battle, combat (abstract) (n) KGT:p47

Thanks. I'll try to work on this tonight. This is a big help.

> For completeness, here's one that has variant spelling on the two
> sides of the vocabulary list.
>
> jorneb = warhead (of a missile) (n) KGT:p37 [spelled jornub in the
>   Klingon-to-English side of the vocab list]

That's already in the New Words List. This is the kind of thing
I'm good at catching; very methodical in my own way. Meanwhile,
I simply have not invested the time to sweep through the text
and catch all the words not in the word list.

So many words, so little time...

> -- ghunchu'wI'

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level