tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 23 17:29:09 1999

KLBC: toH! DuSuchpu' SoS'a' *Mab* 'e' vIlegh!

Okay, I have attempted to translate a few lines from a play, here is what I
have thus far:

Ben:	chay'? rIQmoHlu''a'?
Mer:	HIja', HIja', reghwI'Hom neH 'oH. 'a yap. nuqDaq toy'wI'wI'? jIHvaD
HaqwI' yISuq.
Rom:	Qapla'; qab 'oy' 'e' vIHarbe'.
Mer:	ghobe', lojmIt'a' tIn law' 'oH tIn pus, qoj bIQ 'uchwI' tIq law' 'oH
tIq puS, 'a yap: wa'leS chonejchugh, wa' loD Qop chotu'. jIrIn 'e' vISov.
tuqmeyraj DungDaq leSjaj ropmoHghach!

A few things:

--> I used *some* clipped Klingon
--> I don't know a word for "scratch": I substituted "little thing which
makes you bleed"
--> I'm not sure if I should put two <-wI'>'s on <toy'>, that situation
always messes me up
--> I substituted "success" for "courage" (poetic license)
--> I didn't know how to say "the hurt cannot be bad" so I said "I do not
believe that the hurt is bad"
--> No word for church (as in "church door") so I just said "big door"
--> No word for wide: I used "big"
--> No word for well: I used "water holder" (not a good substitution)
--> No word for deep: I used "long"
--> I used "a dead man" as the object, and kept the you-me prefix... (Hey!
It makes sense.)
--> The "grave man" pun doesn't work in Klingon.
--> I used <ropmoHghach> for "plague"

That's it! If you have any constructive comments or suggestions, please
share them.

--- loD Doq

Here are the actual lines:

BENVOLIO What, art thou hurt?

MERCUTIO Ay, ay, a scratch, a scratch; marry, 'tis enough.
Where is my page? Go, villain, fetch a surgeon.

ROMEO Courage, man; the hurt cannot be much.

MERCUTIO No, 'tis not so deep as a well, nor so wide as a
church-door; but 'tis enough,'twill serve: ask for
me to-morrow, and you shall find me a grave man. I
am peppered, I warrant, for this world. A plague o'
both your houses!

Back to archive top level