tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 23 17:12:00 1999

Re: KLBC: double -bogh verbs

In a message dated 2/23/99 7:35:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

<< jatlh T'Lod:

 > I have seen an example of two verbs suffixed with -bogh, connected
 > with je at the end, most notably in the Klingon Anthem: yoHbogh
 > matlhbogh je SuvwI'. Could someone explain this usage to me and
 > how a noun conjunction is used with verb clauses?

 Simple - it's not. This example comes from a song, and is a good example of
 Okrand taking poetic license. Poetry and song lyrics often break grammatical
 conventions to achieve some other aesthetic objective, and that's what's
 going on here. I believe (although I am not sure) that Okrand himself has
 said that this is not grammatical, and was done solely to sound good in the
 song. The normal way to combine multiple <-bogh> clauses is with <'ej>.

 pagh
 Beginners' Grammarian

So if this were a proper Klingon phrase, it would be yoHbogh 'ej matlhbogh
SuvwI', qar'a'?

T'Lod

Back to archive top level