tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 23 10:46:15 1999

Re: KLBC: 'Iv & nuq

On Mon, 22 Feb 1999 21:44:52 -0800 (PST) John Halliday
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Is it possible for the words {'Iv} and {nuq} to be used in sentences
> that are not questions?  I'm trying to translate Abbot and Costello's
> 'Who's on first' sketch (yes I know, I'm being silly again), and the
> comedy value rapidly deteriorates if {'Iv} and {nuq} can only be used as
> questions.

Not to dull your enthusiasm, but this has already been done. It
was even PERFORMED to an enthusiastic crowd, rolling in the
isles and making appropriate sacrifices, breaking things and
subsequently paying for them.

Krankor and Seqram played it, though they ditched the baseball
game and made it the crew of Seqram's new Bird of Prey. "Who is
the navigator?"

"Yes."

And so began one of the most beautiful performances restored to
its original Klingon.

Changing the setting to the crew of a ship solved a lot of the
problems you'll have with a baseball game.

Others comments have already addressed most of your concerns.
Since as question words, {'Iv} and {nuq} are both placed in
sentences as if they were nouns in statements, and since those
same words used as people's names would appear in the same place
in identical statements, the joke works perfectly.

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level