tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 23 11:06:45 1999

Re: SIv (Re: Hello)

On Mon, 22 Feb 1999 17:40:57 -0800 (PST) TPO <[email protected]>
wrote:

> >"All four words asked about ({tul} 'hope', {Qub} 'think', {Sov} 'know', and
> >{SIv} 'wonder') can be used in the construction {S 'e' V},
> ..
> >it's OK to say ... {tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh 'e' vISIv} 'I wonder if you speak
> >Klingon'.
>
> This is interesting considering that in the recent interview in the latest
> HolQeD, MO said that he didn't know how SIv worked.

It is interesting. Meanwhile, the sentence he kept repeating
that he could not figure out how to express was, "I wonder who's
kissing her now". I did not choose to punctuate it right then
because I'm not even sure how it works in ENGLISH. Is it a
question? Well, sort of. But not really. It is strange and
beautiful.

In the earlier example, he used {SIv} as the second verb of a
sentence as object construction to mean "I wonder if...". That
is a question one would answer with "yes" or "no", but in
English, "wonder" can deal with questions of other types, like,
"Who is kissing her now?"

Okrand was simply enjoying the mysterious fullness of this
particular verb and I think he wants it to do something
particularly interesting. It is like a one verb project of his.
He may never finish it. We may always "wonder" how to use {SIv}.
Or he may come up with something later that is outright
fascinating. I'm willing to let him cook on {SIv} for a while.

Until then, likely it is okay to use the {'e' SIv} to mean
"wonder if", since most people here would understand it because
of the canon usage. Doing more? I personally don't plan to,
unless I'm hit by some kind of fun inspiration, and then I would
not take it seriously (except that Okrand tends to respect fun
inspiration, which is how we got words like {'I'} and {nughI'}.

> What cannon do we have on ra' ?

voragh does this a lot better than I do.

> do you command the person, or can you (also) command an 'e' ?

Definitely a person. {'e'}, while likely, gets a bit weird
around the edges. I'd want to see Okrand do it before I got too
fired up about the prospect.

> DloraH

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level