tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 23 10:39:51 1999

Re: -bogh and -ghach

On Mon, 22 Feb 1999 22:23:44 -0800 (PST) [email protected] wrote:

> I have two questions about -bogh and -ghach.
> 1. How does Soj vutlu'pu'bogh become the food which has been cooked?  The
> subject and object aspect of -bogh is what is confusing me, and not
> necessarily just this example.

The head noun of {-bogh} can be either that verb's subject or
object. Most relative clauses only have an explicit subject OR
an explicit object, so you can assume that noun is the head
noun. When a relative clause has both an explicit subject AND an
explicit object, you can just leave it ambiguous, since Okrand
certainly has given us examples where that was the case, or you
can point out which noun is the head noun by adding the
suffix {-'e'} to it.

In {Soj vutlu'pu'bogh}, there is only one noun there. {Soj} has
to be the head noun of the clause. It is the object of {vut}.
So, it has to be "food which is cooked" or "food which one has
cooked" or something like that, but the point is, it is the head
noun, and it is the object.

What do we mean by "head noun"?

Well, if you dropped the rest of the clause and just used that
head noun alone, the rest of the sentence would make sense. So,
if we had a more complete example:

Soj vutlu'pu'bogh vIneH.

We could drop the rest of the relative clause and get:

Soj vIneH.

The rest of the clause just gives a more specific definition of
WHICH food I want. That's one of the two functions of a relative
clause. In English, we have two types. The exclusive relative
clause performs this function of defining which noun you are
talking about. "I saw the child who hit the captain." Which
child? The one who hit the captain.

There's also the parenthetical relative clause. That just adds
some information about the noun, but it is not really important
in identifying the noun. "I saw the child, who hit the captain."
That simple comma in English is supposed to imply that I saw the
kid you were talking about, and you know what? That SAME kid hit
the captain. I'm not identifying the child. I'm just giving
parenthetical information about the child.

In "proper" English, if the noun in question is neuter, we also
make a difference by using "which" or "that".

I saw the robot that hit the captain. (exclusive)

I saw the robot, which hit the captain. (parenthetical)

Does this help?

> 2. How should -ghach be translated?  We have naDHa'ghach - dicommendation, so
> can I assume that naQHa'ghach means incompletion?  [It is probably easier
> though, to use DanaQHa'chugh, though]

{-ghach} is a good candidate for "last suffix you should bother
learning". Get to know every other suffix in the language before
bothering with {-ghach} and you'll be a happier Klingon.

{naQHa'ghach} would be something like disintegration or
dysfunctional formation. The suffix {-Ha'} implies either the
reversal of an earlier state (like {naDHa'} removes a previous
commendation), or it implies that something is done poorly,
(like {yajHa'} is not simply not understanding, it is
MISunderstanding). So the completeness is either undone or it
was poorly done in the first place. "Disunity", perhaps?

In general, {-ghach} turns a verb into a noun and uses other
verb suffixes to help describe the aspect of the action of the
verb which is to be used to determine what kind of noun that
verb will be turned into.

I'm guessing at/making up definitions here so they are not
official, though I think most people would probably accept most
of them with only a LITTLE angst.

naDchoHghach = The transition to commendation; the transitional
moment

naDtaHghach = The endurance/continuity of commendation, like a
"lifetime achievement award"

naDHa'ghach = discommendation

naD'eghghach = vanity based upon one's overzealous appraisal of
one's own achievements

naDchuqghach = The exchange of commendations

naDta'ghach = The accomplishment of commendation

Meanwhile, most of these are fairly ugly terms that are easily
avoided by using the language as it was designed to be used,
with action speaking loudest through words and nouns serving
just to identify the players in a word that DOES stuff. The
DOING is the focus.

> T'Lod

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level